A delectable and fragrant milk and rice based Indian dessert served in mitti ke kasore. Milk thickened with rice flour and flavored with cardamom, saffron, rose water and rose petal powder.
1 cup basmati rice, soaked in water for 15-20 minutes
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
2-3 cups milk
3-4 strands saffron
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp rose petal powder
2 tsp rose water
You will also need 3-4 mitti ke kasore (A round earthen shallow bowl easily available at potters in India) In case these are not available you can always set them in glass bowls.
• Wash and soak the kasore in water for 10-15 minutes.
• In a mixer blend the soaked rice and 1/2 cup milk together. Not into a very fine paste, a little grainy.
• In a pan add the 2 cups milk and the rice paste. (Adjust the milk quantity according to the consistency.)
• Add cardamom powder, saffron, rose petal powder, rose water and sugar.
• Keep stirring till thick and lump free.
• Once thickened, pour the phirni mixture into washed kasoraas.
• Top it with some fresh rose petals.
• Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.